In my previous blog article, I focused on the importance of creating a killer LinkedIn profile to impress your ideal clients from the outset, optimised to boost your discoverability. If you haven’t done that already, I want you to stop right there! Go back and check out my blog called My Beginner’s Guide to LinkedIn Part 1 – Creating a Great LinkedIn Profile, and put my advice into practice. Only then will you be ready for Part 2, to start using LinkedIn to win quality clients for your business. This is known as LinkedIn lead generation. It's the process of identifying and nurturing prospective clients who may be interested in your services or products. LinkedIn lead generation is a form of social selling, where you use social media to interact and engage with your prospective clients.
If you’re new to LinkedIn, or you’ve decided that now is the time to start getting the most out of LinkedIn to help you develop and grow your business, it can be difficult to know where to begin. Some people make the mistake of diving straight in, and then wonder why they aren’t getting the results they hoped for. In my experience, only around 2% of business owners actually use LinkedIn the right way. The other 98% risk not engaging, or even alienating their prospective customers. In many cases, that’s because they’ve never been shown how to do it properly! With that in mind, I’ve created a two-part beginner’s guide to LinkedIn. In part 1, I’ll focus on how to create a great LinkedIn profile. I’ll follow up in part 2 with a step by step guide to using LinkedIn to win new business.
Winning new business can be a real challenge - the art of selling doesn’t come naturally or feel comfortable to everyone. There’s nothing worse than feeling like you’re being ‘sold to’. I find the hard sell approach to be a massive turn-off, and I know I’m not alone in feeling that way! When I set up my own business, it was important to me to win more business the right way and build a credible client base of people I would enjoy working with, without going for the hard sell.
When I set up my marketing consultancy after leaving my corporate career as an accountant, I decided to offer marketing solutions to professional service providers such as accounting firms, as it was a natural fit for me. I realised all my ideal clients used LinkedIn and decided it was the best platform to grow my client base. It was important to me to use LinkedIn the RIGHT way. Through trial and error, I found that the best way to get results was not by chasing sales, but by chasing relationships instead. I prefer to spend my time relationship building as I genuinely enjoy this way of working.